|Bloomington Classical Guitar Society
The Aspiring Guitarist Award is given annually to a pre-college guitar student in
Indiana and surrounding areas who demonstrates exceptional commitment, technical
ability, and community participation in their study of classical guitar. The Award
recognizes outstanding performance, exuberance in sharing music as a soloist and in
ensemble, and good citizenship in the community of musicians. We encourage all
pre-college students in the Indiana region to apply for the 2018 Aspiring Guitarist
- 18 years or younger on December 31, 2017.
- full-time student residing within 250 miles of Bloomington.
- Concise written essay describing the role of guitar in your life (300-500 words). All
written materials must clearly state your name.
- Contact information for your primary teacher.
- Brief description of your current musical activities.
- Video Submission of the following works performed on nylon-string guitar using
1. J. S. Bach. Prelude (from Prelude, Fugue and Allegro).
2. F. Sor. Twenty Studies (as selected by A. Segovia). Any one study from #11 to #20.
3. H. Villa-Lobos. Preludes. Any one of the five preludes.
4. Any work of your choice (not to exceed 6 minutes).
- Proposed Solo Concert Program to be performed in Bloomington, Indiana during the
Bloomington Guitar Ensemble Festival, June, 2018. The program should be 45 minutes
in duration and should include all of the required pieces that you selected from the list
- Promotional photograph that can be used on the BCGS website and in social media
- Solo recital in Bloomington, Indiana during the Bloomington Guitar Ensemble Festival,
June , 2018. Sponsored by Bloomington Classical Guitar Society and Jacobs Guitar
- $250 stipend
Application Fee: None.
Please submit your application by mail to:
Bloomington Classical Guitar Society
PO Box 6181
Bloomington, IN 47407-6181
You may submit your application materials by shared google drive to
Application Deadline: November 30, 2017.
Aspiring Guitarist Award 2018
Former Aspiring Guitarist Award Winners:
2015 Julia Ponella
2016 Aidan Whelan
2017 No Award